The healing power of Menstrual blood: it’s no longer a curse !
Did you knew that Stem cells in menstrual blood have similar properties as the stem cells in Umbilical cord blood and Bone marrow.
So ‘those 5 days’ are no longer a curse but life giving !!!!. Women be Proud
Periods which people around looked down can turn into a boon to you and your genetically related family members.
Though everyone knows (I like to believe) that Menstruation stands for a healthy status, bleeding every month down yonder is considered as a dirty stuff by large number of population, both men and women.
So now stand up and say, that this ‘dirty stuff’ can be a ‘life saver’ for your family.
Researchers have found that uterine lining, or endometrium, is a rich source of adult stem cells. Adult stem cells from menstrual blood were capable of differentiating into 9 lineages: cardiomyocytic, respiratory epithelial, neurocytic, myocytic, endothelial, pancreatic, hepatic, adipocytic, and osteogenic.
- Menstrual blood is easily accessible, highly expandable in vitro, and possesses pluripotency
- The ease of collection of Menstrual stem cells allows for the creation of patient-specific banking
- A collection of about 10 to 15 ml of menstrual fluid could easily yield between 10 million to 100 million Mesenchymal Stem cells
- Menstrual blood can be preserved at any age and multiple times
- The collection of menstrual blood is painless and hassle free and can be done at home using Menstrual cups.
- Menstrual stem cells are expandable and possess the ability to differentiate into various tissues
- Patient-specific tissues can be created with ease and can be kept “on standby’ and ready for use when needed
- The finding that the cells can be expanded for 68 doublings without any karyotypic or functional abnormalities implies that from one starting cell enough cells theoretically can be produced to treat every human being in the world
- Banking menstrual stem cells would help to meet future medical needs
Can we store Menstrual Blood ?
Many international stem cell banks like CryoCell offers to store menstrual stem cells. Women in their reproductive years can store and preserve these cells for potential use by herself or a family member free from any ethical or political controversy.
Can we store Menstrual Blood in India?
In India LifeCell Femme helps women to collect and preserve these vital stem cells from menstrual blood. A debate is on as The Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) has suspended collection of stem cells from menstrual blood in India.
Menstrual Blood Stem Cells and Cosmetics
Menstrual stem cell has been utilized in various cosmetic and regenerative procedures with great success. The fact that these cells are autologous and risk free, increases its application in the field of regenerative medicine, plastic surgery and cosmetology manifold.
Menstrual Blood Stem Cells and Clinical trials
The first report of clinical use of endometrial regenerative cells isolated form menstrual blood involved treating patients with multiple sclerosis. There has been a positive report on administering cardiac patients with stem cells obtained from menstrual blood. They used small amount of menstrual blood from young healthy donors.
With multitude of benefits associated with Menstrual stem cells, potential treatments could be devised for several medical conditions, which otherwise would not have been possible.