Actress Catherine Zeta-Jones once said “I do condition my hair with honey and beer. I smell like the bottom of a beer barrel for days afterwards, but it’s very good for the hair”. Priyanka Chopra is another actress who vouches for beer and egg combination for hair care.
Don’t turn your head away, Zeta-Jones and Priyanka are celebrities who swears by the benefits of washing hair with beer. And to let you know this is by no means a new fad and women have been using beer to enhance their hair for decades.
Does Beer really work for your hair
The answer is yes. Beer which is made from malt and hops through fermentation process contains several nutrients that benefits the hair. Beer is rich in B vitamins, maltose, sucrose, and protein and beer also contains magnesium, phosphorus and potassium which make beer a valuable hair care ingredient.
- Beer proteins helps to repair damaged hair
- B vitamins in beer are good for hair growth
- Beer contains silica too – a mineral which helps to add volume to hair
- Maltose present in beer helps to strengthen hair
- Sucrose gives natural shine to hair and tightens hair cuticles
- Beer treatment gives hair more volume and makes it appear more thicker
- Beer also contains Biotin, a much needed nutrient for healthy hair growth. Biotin can also aid in preventing dandruff, itchy scalp and hair loss
- Beer is great in absorbing excess oil
Take a note:
Beer works wonder on oily hair with regular problems of dandruff and itchiness, whereas this solution is not for people with dry hair.
Best way to use it
At the end of the shower, pour flat beer (leave the beer bottle open overnight before applying to hair) over hair straight from roots and allow it to stay for about 3-4 minutes. Rinse it off then with cold water. To avoid the beer stink, follow it up with a fragrant conditioner. Two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar can also be added to the beer to prevent the bad smell.
Make your own Beer shampoo:
Take a cup (236 milliliters) of beer and heat it over medium flame until there’s only one-quarter cup left. That means no alcohol is left. After the beer cools down, add a cup of shampoo to it and bottle it up. Use it whenever you like
If you are not a DIY person, you can buy Beer Shampoo from any shopping mall or from online shops.