Fat is no longer the food villain, it’s Sugar. Number of people getting sugar-related disorders like diabetes, obesity and heart disease is sky rocketing. The scary thing about sugar is that, it’s difficult to weed it out from us, It’s addictive and toxic…. like a drug.
How many of you know what all qualifies as ‘Sugar’?
Sugar in general refers to sucrose. Sucrose is obtained from sugar cane or sugar beets. Other sugars include high fructose corn syrup (HFCS), crystalline fructose, and glucose. The term “sugar-sweetened” refers to those food to which sucrose or one of the above named sugars is added during manufacture. Please note that sugars that are naturally occurring in foods such as fructose in fruit or lactose in milk are not “added sugars”. Sweeteners are classified mainly into two – nutritive or nonnutritive. Nutritive or caloric sweeteners are naturally occurring ones, made by fruits, sugar cane, and sugar beets and on average they provide 4 calories per gram, whereas Nonnutritive or high-intensity sweeteners obtained from plant sources, such as monk fruit or stevioside, or synthetically made, such as acesulfame K, aspartame, sucralose, or saccharine provide sweetness to food but contribute towards very little or no calories.
Sugar is indeed Deadly…do you know why ?
Sugar is rapidly converted in the blood to fat or triglycerides. This then increases obesity, heart disease, and diabetes. We all know this. But did you know that sugar has much more damaging effects on our body. You will be surprised reading below list.
- Sugar is an “empty food”. Sugar is devoid of vitamins, minerals, or fiber
- Eating larger portions of sugar can make immune system completely helpless. This effect can last for about 4-5 hours. This would mean weakened defense against diseases and infection.
- In Children sugar can cause drowsiness and decreased activity. This is because sugar reduce levels of orexin in the brain, which reduces levels of physical activity. As a result our kids get fat and sleepy simultaneously
- Sugar can lead to kidney damage, especially when one has diabetes
- Sugar may lead to chromium deficiency
- Sugar can speed up the aging process, causing more wrinkles and gray hair. Sugar reacts with protein, creating advanced glycation end-products(AGEs). These AGEs cause skin to be wrinkled and cell structures to harden
- Sugar can meddle with absorption of calcium and magnesium
- Sugar may lead to cancer of the breast, ovaries, prostate, gall bladder and rectum
- Sugar increases chance for colon cancer in women
- Sugar raises the level of a neurotransmitter called serotonin
- Sugar can lead to an acidic stomach
- Sugar raise the risk of Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis
- Sugar increase the risk of varicose veins
- Sugar can contribute to osteoporosis
- Sugar can deteriorate eyesight
- Sugar can reduce growth hormone
- Sugar causes food allergies
- Sugar can impair the DNA structure
- Sugar can raise the amount of fat in the liver
- Sugar may lead to increase in headaches, including migraines
- Sugar can cause Alzheimer Disease
Prevention is always better than getting Chronic Illness
Sugar is cheap, sugar tastes good and sugar sells in the market, so companies are not going to stop adding this unhealthy ingredient. Only option left is to limit sugar intake and bring some corrections to your life to live longer and stay well.