Could DHA be the secret to a healthy brain throughout Adult life?
Include in your diet plant based DHA from Mamaearth
When someone hear the name DHA or docosahexaenoic acid, one correlates it with babies brain development. But did you know that DHA is essential for Adult brain too… We need DHA throughout all stages of life for healthy brain and mental well-being
Results published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition showed that Healthy, young adults who took an omega 3 DHA supplement displayed significant improvements in memory and reaction times.
DHA and Adult Brain Health
DHA is an omega-3 fatty acid and it plays significant role in brain health. DHA is essential for maintaining nerve cell structure and function. It is a major structural fat in the brain and eyes and a key component of the heart.
- It has been found that taking in required levels of DHA can protect one from age related mental decline and also can significantly reduce risk of dementia and Alzheimer’s. Seniors who take high levels of DHA are 47% less likely to develop dementia and 39% less likely to develop Alzheimer’s compared to people with low levels of DHA.
- DHA deficiency is linked to serious psychiatric disorders such as major depressive disorder, suicidal behavior, bipolar disorder, and schizophrenia
- Results of a Swedish cohort study suggest that DHA is positively associated with peak bone mineral density in the total body and spine in healthy, young men.
DHA is available as a supplement in two forms:
- Fish oil capsules, which has both DHA and EPA (eicosapentaenoic acid)
- DHA from algae, which has no EPA
Benefits of taking plant based DHA over Fish DHA
Fish get their DHA from eating smaller fish, who get their DHA from algae. So by opting for DHA from algae we are simply cutting out the middleman. Another benefit of algal DHA is that it may contain fewer contaminants like mercury. Also it’s 100% vegetarian and does not lead to any bad taste.
My search for plant based DHA ended at Mamaearth portal
Mamaearth products are made with safe ingredients that are not known or suspected to cause human health or environmental harm. Also its FDA approved.
Though they have launched this product for new moms, this supplement could essentially be taken by any healthy individual. Each capsule contains 250 mg of algae based plant DHA. Recommended dosage is two capsules every day.
Go ahead and get your bottle of DHA…Let no age related brain disorders trouble you….
I am taking my Alexa rank to the next level with Blogchatter.
Disclosure: Would like to thank Mamaearth for sending across to me this sample. Thoughts expressed here are based on my own experience
Disclaimer: I have given my full effort to provide my readers with most accurate information. But please use your discretion before taking any decisions based on the information in this blog.