Patients needing major heart surgery, hip operations , cataracts or even looking for breast augmentation, nose job, body contouring are using the internet to book operations to be carried out thousands of miles away.
- Singapore is the most thriving medical tourism center in the South East
- In Latin America, Panama and Costa Rica are becoming well-known tourist spots for medical travelers
- Mexico being close to the US is now one of the top rated medical tourism destinations.
- Malaysia is also a famous destination for medical tourists and travelers
- Another hot spot for medical tourism is India
- Seoul in South Korea is the plastic surgery capital of the world
- South Africa is the first country in Africa to emerge as a medical tourism destination
- India, Malaysia, Singapore, and Thailand are well-established destinations for patients seeking cardiac surgery and orthopaedic surgery
- Italy, already recognized as a major travel destination, offers medical tourists the opportunity to combine treatment with a vacation of a lifetime
- The Malaysian government provides flexible ease of entry for foreign patients entering Malaysia for treatment where visa for medical tourists are extended if needed, from 30 days to 90 days
- Thailand hospitals are among the first in Asia to be internationally accredited. To date, there are 37 hospitals accredited by JCI in Thailand
- The uniqueness of India is its ability to offer holistic medical services such as unani, yoga, meditation, ayurveda, and homeopathic treatments
Medical tourism is defined as the enhancement or restoration of the individual’s health through medical intervention by organized travel outside one’s natural healthcare jurisdiction.